This breakfast smoothie has some powerful ingredients; mixed berries, dark greens, and flaxseeds. The perfect combo to boost nutrients and keep you feeling full longer. Its also really yummy too!
Berries help to...
Improves insulin sensitivity
The spinach helps to...
Detox your kidneys
Flaxseeds help to...
Suppress appetite and caloric intake
Boost nutrition absorption
Wow! Talk about an awesome trio!
However, did you know that there is a proper way to make and drink smoothies?
- Add greens and seeds to make it a complete meal. Fruit alone may lead you to feeling hungry again soon after consumption. However, when you add greens (like spinach, kale, etc) and seeds (e.g. flax, chia, etc) you can help your body feel more satiated, reduce overall calorie consumption, and keep that feeling of fullness for 3-4 hours! In addition, if using spinach or broccoli sprouts, you can help detox your body.
- Drink your smoothie slowly. Remember, that your smoothie has multiple servings of fruits and veggies. If you were to eat these individually before blending it would take you a lot longer than 2 minutes to consume. Our bodies expect us to take our time to eat, and eating too quickly can prevent the absorption of nutrients and increase blood sugar spikes. So, drink your smoothie as if it were a meal over the coarse of 30 minutes.
- Drink your smoothie with a straw. There is a downside to drinking smoothies. Although great for overall health, they can be damaging to the enamel of your teeth.If you sip through a straw, however, you bypass that tooth damage!
- Mix in the whole fruit/vegetable. When the skins of fruits and vegetables are edible (ex: kiwi skins, strawberry skins, lemon skins, etc), you want to put them into your smoothie. This gives you the fibers of the food that help you prevent sugar spikes and help your gut get the nutrients it needs. So, add it all in! It may seem weird, at first, but once blended you won't even notice.
I hope these tips were helpful, and my information continues to help you learn about the healing powers of food. Now go try out this recipe already!
- 1 cup mixed berries, frozen
- 1 banana, frozen*
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tbsp flaxseeds, ground
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- Mix all ingredients in a blender (I used a magic bullet) and serve. Enjoy!
- If you don't have any bananas frozen you can use fresh ones, but you may need less non-dairy milk.