We were really craving a traditional favorite last night... macaroni & cheese! Yet, the typical recipe has almost zero nutritional value! Especially, macaroni and cheese out of a box. Talk about preservatives, food dyes, GMO's, bleached flours, and so on. Gross. No thank you! You are definitely not doing your body any favors when you eat that crap.
So, how do you turn a traditionally unhealthy dish, healthy? With whole ingredients! Instead of just dairy and refined carbs, this version of vegan mac & cheese has butternut squash, quinoa noodles, fresh herbs and spices. Talk about a good hearty meal using plant-based ingredients! No Yellow 5 in this dish, people.
- 1 package pasta, gluten-free (8oz)
- 1 small butternut squash (~2 cups cooked/mashed)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter (e.g. earth balance spread)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk (soy, almond, etc)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp basil, chopped (optional)
- Chop Garlic: Chop, press or mince garlic and let rest for 5-10 minutes (this enhances health-promoting benefits of garlic).
- Prepare Butternut Squash: While your garlic is resting, chop butternut squash into small chunks and remove skins. Add to medium pot, cover with water, and bring to boil. Boil for 5-10 minutes, or until soft.
- Prepare Pasta: Follow the directions on the pasta to prepare.
- Prepare Cheeze Sauce: Add butternut squash, garlic, butter, nutritional yeast, dairy-free milk, pepper, salt, and red pepper into a food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Prepare Mac & Cheeze: Mix pasta with cheeze sauce and basil. Serve and enjoy!
- 1. You can replace fresh butternut squash with sweet potato or canned pumpkin!