Okay guys... this caramel sauce recipe is so freaking good, and dare I say it, it's made with only nutrient-rich ingredients. Yep. Caramel sauce that is actually good for you. I'm just going to leave this right here.
Made with Powerful Ingredients:
- Dates - One of the highest alkaline foods (pH value 8), good for digestion, full of minerals for bone health, high in fiber, and helps regulate blood pressure.
- Apples - Another one of the highest alkaline foods (pH value 8.5), loads of fiber, helps maintain hormones.
- Almond Butter - The only alkalizing nut (yep, all others are acid-forming), helps lower cholesterol, full of healthy fats, and also high in magnesium and calcium!
- Blackstrap Molasses - One of the only sweeteners in the world that is actually good for you! While refined white sugar and corn syrup are stripped of virtually ALL nutritional value, blackstrap molasses contains significant amounts of a variety of minerals that promote your health; manganese, copper, iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, vitamin B6, and selenium [Source]. Honey or maple syrup don't even come close to the nutrients blackstrap molasses possesses.
Sometimes, when we switch over to a plant-based diet (or trying to eat more healthy in general) we feel extremely limited and deprived. Being healthy should not mean deprivation. If you feel deprived, you will never stick to it! When you learn to cook with plants, you begin to understand and appreciate how REAL food tastes, and realize that whole foods alone can be really freaking good. Don't be afraid to get in the kitchen and cook! Experiment, get creative, and learn how fulfilling real whole foods can be. 🙂
- 20 dates, pitted
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 Tbsp applesauce (make your own homemade applesauce)
- 1 Tbsp almond butter (no oil)
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Soak Dates: Let dates sit in water for 10 minutes
- Make Date Paste: Combine dates and water in food processor, and blend until combined; ensure that you do not have any big chunks, but small pieces/bits are okay at this point.
- Make Caramel Sauce:Now add the rest of the ingredients (applesauce, almond butter, molasses, vanilla, and salt) into food processor, and blend until creamy. Use a small spatula to scrape edges periodically during this process, and be patient. For older/slower food processors this could take about 5 minutes of mixing/scraping/mixing. By the end of it, you should have a perfectly smooth creamy consistency that tastes like caramel sauce... it's so good!
- You don't need a fancy food processor to make this. I made it using a Magic Bullet and it came out perfect! Be patient when blending, and it will turn out great!