Before I became a vegan, I was totally into eggs. Like, I ate them ALL the time. I boiled them for quick snacks, mixed them into a stir-fry, and almost always had them for breakfast.
Then, I became a nutritionist and my world was turned around when I learned that my beloved egg, was not so great for me. Let me tell you, this was quite an adjustment for me. It took me a really long time to give them up completely! However, once I did, I didn't even miss them! Can you believe it? My saving grace was experimenting with alternatives to common egg dishes, and scrambled tofu became my breakfast go-to. It's delicious and super easy to make!
- 1 package (14oz) firm tofu, drained
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, ground
- salt to taste
- olive oil, for cooking (optional)
- Cut the tofu block into ~6 slices, and press with a paper towel to remove excess liquid. Once liquid is removed, crumble tofu into a medium sized mixing bowl lined with more paper towels and set aside. The tofu should already resemble the texture of scrambled eggs.
- Heat a large skillet pan at medium heat. While the pan is heating, chop zucchini and bell pepper. Add veggies to pan with a drizzle of olive oil, and sauté for 2 minutes max, stirring occasionally.
- Add cilantro, nutritional yeast, salsa, turmeric, black pepper, and salt. Mix well until nutritional yeast has dissolved, about 1 minute.
- Serve and enjoy.